Many of my IVF patients find their two-week wait after embryo transfer to be a struggle. You have been through so much in a short space of time. Protocols, injections, scans, hope and despair, more advice than you know what to do with. You emerge blinking from the IVF tunnel and are expected to be patient for two weeks until your pregnancy test. You are understandably anxious to do the right thing, but what does this mean? Here is what I tell my patients at this point, my six point plan for the two week wait.
- Remind yourself that you are doing the best you can. There is no point in beating yourself up. Think of the team of people behind you.
- Gentle exercise has been shown to be helpful but how much should you do? Modest activity is great for circulation, and particularly around your middle. Take plenty of walks walks but avoid strenuous exercise such as running or aerobics.
- Look after your energy. Avoid overtiring yourself and get plenty of rest, after all you have earned it.
- You cannot possibly know if your cycle has been successful or otherwise. Stop thinking about this and busy yourself with something else instead.
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Deal with anxiety. Remember that fertility acupuncture isn’t solely about treatment but support and someone to talk to.
Those of you who are prone to worrying might well benefit from an acupuncture treatment half way through your two-week wait. We call this a ‘tucking in the embryos treatment. ‘ Highly recommended.
[Six Point Plan for The Two Week Wait}